LOUISVILLE, Ky. — It has been exactly one month since an employee opened fire inside the old national bank in downtown Louisville. The shooting left five dead and eight injured, including rookie Louisville Metro Police Officer Nick Wilt, who was shot in the head and spent weeks in the ICU. 

What You Need To Know

  •  Officer Nick Wilt was shot in the April 10 mass shooting in Louisville

  •  Wilt was released from the hospital Wednesday, one month after the shooting

  • The Louisville Metro Police Foundation has raised over $160k for his medical bills

  • The foundation has done this for LMPD officers and staff since being created in 2005

On Monday, the Louisville Metro Police Foundation announced Wilt is no longer on a ventilator or any other life-sustaining equipment.

By Wednesday, LMPD offered another piece of good news that Wilt has been transferred from the hospital to begin the long rehabilitation process of his recovery. 


For Rebecca Grignon Reker, the foundation’s executive director, this comes as fantastic news. 

“Nick is a hero and he didn’t hesitate. I think it was his fourth shift, ten days on the job, and he ran to help people, he ran and saved people,” Reker said. 

Reker is the widow of a fallen officer. Her husband, Peter Grignon, was killed in the line of duty in 2005. She says it means so much to see how the community has stepped up to help the Wilt family. 

“It is so amazing to see how the Louisville community loves people. When Peter died they wrapped their arms around me and they have not disappointed. They have done the exact same thing with the Wilt family,” Reker said. 

Following the shooting, the foundation created a fundraiser for the injured officer. So far, it’s raised over $164,000. This is one of the programs they’ve offered since the foundation was created in 2005 to LMPD officers and staff. 

Every dollar raised will go to the Wilt family. 

“He has a long road ahead of him. He has a long fight. We don’t know what he’s going to need as he progresses through the neural rehab and we’re here to give it to him and take care of him and we’re all coming together as a community — that’s why we’re Louisville strong, right,” Reker said. 

Reker added the Wilt family is so thankful for the outpouring of support, both in prayer and through donations. 

“Everyone wants Nick to get better, everyone is pulling for him and I can’t help but think that’s what’s got him this far,” Reker said. 

Still, Wilt’s recovery will take time. Throughout this long road ahead, Reker wants people to keep him and his family in their thoughts. 

“We never thought we’d be here a month ago and here we are, he is a miracle and so we want him to continue to be a miracle, we want to continue to update everybody and we want people to continue to support because this will be a long road and we do not want to forget him,” Reker said.