COLUMBUS, Ohio — Gov. Mike DeWine’s office announced Tuesday the additional deployment of Ohio National Guard members as the Guard prepares to assist a 13th COVID-19 testing site in the state.
In the last week, additional COVID-19 testing sites have opened, and an additional one, which will be located in the Dayton area, will open.
DeWine’s office said that 2,300 members of the Ohio National Guard have been deployed to assist with COVID-19 response. The governor’s office added that 200 Guard members are offering medical support, and nearly 2,100 are offering general support, including testing, food services, in-hospital patient transportation, administrative tasks and more.
Officials said the purpose of opening the mass testing sites is to divert traffic from emergency rooms amid a rise in hospitalizations in the state. The Ohio Hospital Association reported 6,727 inpatient COVID-19 hospitalizations statewide on Tuesday.
Some of the mass testing sites have had overwhelming demand. Since opening last month, the mass testing site located in Cleveland’s University Circle has averaged 1,100 patients a day, state officials said.
“Our men and women are supporting about a dozen testing sites throughout Ohio, helping to provide additional opportunities for our fellow Ohioans to be tested for COVID-19. We have been fulfilling COVID-19 missions for more than 20 months, and we are committed to supporting our state during this time of need,” said Maj. Gen. John C. Harris Jr., who heads the Ohio National Guard.
The Ohio Department of Health’s website has additional information on how to book a COVID-19 test.
At this time, the Ohio National Guard has been deployed to support the following testing locations:
- Akron: Atrium Testing Site (Summa Health), 1077 Gorge Blvd., Akron.
- Canton: (Aultman/Cleveland Clinic Mercy), Stark County Fairgrounds, 305 Wertz Ave. NW, Canton
- Chillicothe: Adena Regional Medical Center, 272 Hospital Road, Chillicothe
- Cleveland: Walker Center (Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals), 10524 Euclid Ave., Cleveland.
- Columbus: (Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center), first floor of the CAS parking garage at 2540 Olentangy River Road, Columbus.
- Dayton: (Premier Health) Miami Valley Hospital, 1 Wyoming St., Dayton
- Mansfield: Avita Ontario Hospital, 715 Richland Mall, Mansfield
- Maumee: Lucas County Recreation Center, 2901 Key St., Maumee
- Zanesville: Genesis Hospital, 2951 Maple Ave., Zanesville
- Cincinnati: (Ethos Laboratories), Crossroads Church, 990 Reading Road, Mason
- Cincinnati: (Ethos Laboratories), Riverbend, 6201 Kellogg Ave.
- Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati, 321 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati.
- Dayton: Dayton Children’s Hospital, 1 Children’s Plaza, Dayton