MILWAUKEE — February is Black History Month and Milwaukee Film is gearing up for its fifth annual Black History Month program.
All month long, Milwaukee Film’s Black Lens program will host several movie screenings and live events to highlight Black culture, history and experiences.
Here’s what Milwaukee Film has in store for this year’s celebration:
“The Big Payback”
Feb. 2 at 7 p.m.
A rookie alderwoman from Evanston, Ill., led the passage of the first tax-funded reparations for slavery bill in U.S. history for Black Americans.
“The Last Dragon”
Feb. 4 at 7 p.m.
A young man searches for the “master” to obtain the final level of martial arts mastery known as “the glow.” Along the way, he must fight an evil martial arts expert and rescue a beautiful singer from an obsessed music promoter.
“The African Desperate”
Feb. 9 at 7 p.m.
With 24 hours sitting between a woman and her graduation from art school, she finds herself on a delirious trek from Upstate New York to Chicago.
“Black Love Through a Black Lens”
Feb. 11 at noon
A Valentine’s Day weekend screening of short films that celebrate Black love in all of its multitudes.
Feb. 16 at 7 p.m.
A new documentary that focuses on Rev. Al Sharpton’s three-decade career as an activist.
“Juneteenth: Faith & Freedom”
Feb. 18 at noon
An unscripted documentary that invites viewers into the story of Juneteenth through the eyes of a Black man learning about the holiday from the direct descendants of those liberated.
Feb. 23 at 7 p.m.
The documentary explores and celebrates the free jazz movement of the 1960s and 1970s.
“An Oversimplification Of Her Beauty”
Feb. 25 at noon
After being stood up on a date with a beautiful woman, a young artist ventures on a hyper-stylized journey into the center of that very moment.
- Young Professionals Forum | Feb. 1 at 6 p.m. | Company Brewing
- A Leap Into Afrofuturism | Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. | Radio Milwaukee
- BHM Trivia | Feb. 10 at 8 p.m. | Company Brewing
- Black Love Through A Black Lens: Afrosexology | Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. | Dandy
- In Retrospect: The Life & Times Of Kendrick Lamar | Feb. 17 at 7 p.m. | Company Brewing
- Groove Theory: Growing Nation | Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. | The Cooperage
- For the Soul: A Narrated Food Tasting & Conversation | Feb. 26 at 5 p.m. | Turning Tables Tavern & Eatery
Those interested in learning more about this year’s program and events can click here.