KENTUCKY — Multiple school districts across the state will be closed Friday because of illness, including the flu. Some even closed Thursday and will be closed Monday.
"Like with inclement weather days, the decision to close a district due to widespread illness is made by the superintendent and does not require a board vote," said Kentucky School Boards Association spokesperson Josh Shoulta. "The ability for a district to cancel school due to widespread illness, commonly referred to as taking ‘flu days’, has been used as needed by KY public schools for decades."
For Monday, some districts are using Non-Traditional Instruction (NTI) days to let students work from home. School is out statewide Tuesday for the election.
Here's a list of districts that will be closed Friday:
- Ballard County Schools
- Berea Independent Schools
- Bourbon County Schools
- Breathitt County Schools
- Carter County Schools
- Clark County Schools — NTI day on Monday
- Fleming County Schools
- Jackson Independent
- Madison County School District — NTI day on Monday
- Magoffin County Schools — Also closed on Monday
- Paris City Schools
- Powell County Schools — Also closed on Monday
- Raceland Worthington Independent Schools
- Scott County Schools — Not an NTI day
- Wayne County Schools
This list will be updated if more closures are announced.