FRANKFORT, Ky. — Thirteen unemployment insurance offices in the state reopen to in-person appointments Thursday for the first time in three years.
What You Need To Know
- Kentucky reopens 13 unemployment insurance sites to in-person appointments Thursday
- People could start scheduling appointments on April 7
- Within one day, 9,500 Kentuckians booked appointments for April 15-30
- Just after midnight Monday morning, appointments open for May 3
First, there was the pandemic which left many Kentuckians without jobs. Some were filing for unemployment for the first time.
Then there was the news last week about shutting down the state’s unemployment insurance system for four days to combat fraud. Now that the front-facing website is back up, all unemployment insurance claimants will have to re-register to create more secure passwords.
The new process is leaving many with questions. On April 7, people could start scheduling appointments for April 15-30. Within one day, 9,500 Kentuckians scheduled appointments.
“Please remember, we are going to do everything we can to try to resolve your issue while there, but sometimes it may require that you fill out more paperwork while you are there or we take something back to the office,” said Amy Cubbage, general counsel to Gov. Andy Beshear. “You might not get your issue 100% resolved, but they will do their best to get as close as possible during your appointment.”
All openings for the 13 sites are booked for April. Here are the 13 sites:
- Ashland: 1844 Carter Ave.
- Bowling Green: 803 Chestnut St.
- Covington: 1324 Madison Ave.
- Elizabethtown: 233 Ring Road, Suite 100
- Hazard: 412 Roy Campbell Drive
- Hopkinsville: 110 Riverfront Drive
- Lexington: 2624 Research Park Drive
- Louisville: 600 W. Cedar St.
- Morehead: 1225 U.S. Hwy. 60 West, Suite 160
- Owensboro: 3108 Fairview Drive
- Paducah: 416 South 6th St.
- Prestonburg: 686 North Lake Drive
- Somerset: 410 East Mt. Vernon St.
The Kentucky Career Center asks that everyone stay in their cars until five minutes before their scheduled appointment time to avoid crowding in lines. Temperature checks are required before entry. People will also need to show a photo ID to get into the building. Masks are required at all times.
Appointments for May 3 go online just after midnight Sunday into Monday morning. New appointments will go up each day after.