LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Some Louisville residents may be eligible for free federal and state income tax preparation. Mayor Greg Fischer, along with other community leaders, announced the opening of the tax assistance on Thursday.
What You Need To Know
- Mayor Fischer, community leaders announce opening of free federal and state income tax preparation
- VITA, AARP Tax Aide programs provide IRS-certified volunteers who offer free tax services online or at select drop-off sites
- Individuals and families who earned less than $66,000 in 2020 are eligible for the assistance
- AARP select drop-off sites in Louisville will open Feb. 15
The Louisville Asset Building Coalition's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax Aide programs provide trained, IRS-certified volunteers who offer free tax services either online or at select drop-off sites.
Individuals and families who earned less than $66,000 in 2020 are eligible for the assistance.
Also, VITA and AARP volunteers will help residents determine if they're eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable federal tax credit for low- and middle-income working individuals and families. EITC eligiblity is based on income, the number of family members and other criteria, like the amount of a family's credit.
Working families making up to $57,000 may be eligible. Last year, credits averaged nearly $2,500.
"Now more than ever, tax refunds provide a critical boost to the household budget for many Louisville families,” Fischer said. “For many working families, free help with taxes and guidance in qualifying for the EITC can be a game-changer. That’s money that could be used to start a savings account, buy a car, get braces for a child, pay books and college tuition, or start a college fund for their children."
According to a release from the mayor's office, the VITA campaign and Louisville AARP sites processed nearly 13,000 returns and added over $16 million to the local economy. That number includes nearly $3.5 million in Earned Income Tax Credits to residents.
In 2020, over 200 volunteers dedicated more than 5,600 hours to free tax preparation services.
To have your taxes prepared online, visit getyourrefund.org. You can also call 502-305-0005 for more information starting Feb. 8.
VITA's free tax preparation sites are located at:
- Americana Community Center, 4801 Southside Dr.
- Bates Community Development Corporation, 1228 Jackson St.
- Eastern Area Community Ministries, 9104 Westport Rd.
- Louisville Urban League, 1535 W. Broadway
- Portland Promise Center, 1831 Baird St.
- Salt and Light Community Development, 3025 Gerald Dr.
- Sun Valley Community Center, 6505 Bethany Lane
- United Crescent Hill Ministries, 150 State St.
- Wesley House Community Services, 5114 Preston Hwy.
More details about the VITA locations can be found online or by calling Metro United Way's 211 help referral service.
Residents can also visit the website for information about a free service for those interested in filing their taxes online. Volunteers can visit MyFreeTaxes.com for free software programs offered in partnership by United Way and Worldwide TaxSlayer. Eligible clients may also visit labcservices.org to access the IRS Free File Program Delivered by Turbo Tax.
AARP select drop-off sites in Louisville will open Feb. 15.
Those who take advantage of the assistance should bring several things, including:
- Picture ID and Social Security cards for everyone listed on the return
- Copy of 2019 tax return with all attachments and schedules
- W-2s and 1099s from your employers
- Other 1099s for interest, dividends, state tax refund or other income
- Form 1099-G for any unemployment compensation received during the year
- 1095-A for health insurance
- 1098 for education credit, plus a detailed financial statement from the school
- Bank account number and routing number for direct deposit as well as savings account number (if applicable)
- Childcare information, including Provider ID and actual amounts paid
- Summarized list of other income/expenses for those who itemize or are self-employed
- Additional tax information that may be required