LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Two days after a grand jury announced its findings in the Breonna Taylor case, protests continued throughout Louisville.

What You Need To Know

  • Protests continue Friday night

  • Pair of protesters arrested in NuLu

  • Family of Breonna Taylor, their lawyers spoke publicly

Early in the evening protesters began marching from from Jefferson Square Park to the NuLu neighborhood on Main Street. Louisville Metro Police asked them to walk on the sidewalks so that traffic could move. When crowds refused, LMPD declared an unlawful assembly. Police set off a pair of flashbang rounds in the air above the crowd and police told them to disperse and move east. Crowds did begin to disperse, with many walking back to the park. Two people were arrested.

After originally reporting 23 protest-related arrests last night, LMPD later announced there were only 22 arrests. Of the arrests, 14 were from Louisville. The majority of the charges include breaking curfew, failure to disperse and/or unlawful assembly.

Friday began with Taylor's family, joined by their attorneys, speaking publicly for the first time since Wednesday's decision. Against the backdrop of Jefferson Square Park, where a painting of Taylor looms large, Florida-based attorney Ben Crump began by saying that Taylor's family is "heartbroken, devastated and outraged and confused and bewildered." 

A number of people spoke at the press conference including attorney Lonita Baker, who called on Cameron to release the grand jury transcripts and recordings, and Tamika Mallory of Until Freedom. Jacob Blake Sr., the father of Jacob Blake who was shot seven times by an officer in Kenosha, Wisc., also spoke. 

While Taylor's mother, Tamika Palmer, was present, she didn't speak at the press conference. Palmer's sister, Bianca Austin, read a statement provided by Palmer while clad in Taylor's EMT jacket. 

Similar to previous days, protests began to pick up in the evening around 6 p.m. A march, led by people carrying a purple banner with Taylor's image on the front, began downtown, making their way from Main Street to Louisville's NULU neighborhood.

For a complete look at how event have unfolded over the last few days you can revist our blogs: