LOS ANGELES – The Santa Ana winds have increased the fire danger to a Red Flag Warning on Thursday and until 10 p.m. on Friday.
Wildfires are beginning to break out, with one prompting mandatory evacuations in northern San Bernardino.
The California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services says families should make emergency plans and create emergency kits in case disaster strikes.
Wildfire Emergency Kit:
- Canned food: 3-day supply
- Can opener
- Bottled water: 3 gallons per person
- Portable phone charger
- Battery-operated radio
- Extra batteries
- Moist towelettes
- Dust mask
- First aid kit
- Pet food and water
- Important documents: Birth certificates, passports, IDs
Cal Fire advises kits are created using a tub or chest on wheels to make it easy to transport and lift into a car.
- Appoint one out-area person to be the family's contact in case of separation
- Ensure family knows how to safely shut off gas, electric, water controls
- Keep an emergency contact list on
- Map escape routes from your home and neighborhood
- Establish a meeting area outside of the fire