COLUMBUS, Ohio — The OHSAA announced the homes of most of its state tournaments for the 2021-22 season, with multiple tournament sites reaching multi-year agreements. The announcement comes after various tournaments were relocated for 2020-21 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We are very excited to announce these state tournament venues because of the experience they will give our student-athletes, schools and communities,” OHSAA Executive Director Doug Ute said in a press release. “We would like to thank all those who operate these venues and have an important part in these partnerships and support of high school sports in Ohio.”
Two sports’ championships are returning to their longtime homes after being relocated in 2020.
The individual wrestling championships for Divisions I, II and III will return to the Schottenstein Center at Ohio State University. After being hosted by Marengo Highland, Marion Harding and Hilliard Darby high schools in 2021, the tournament will return to “The Schott” where the OHSAA said more than 15,000 fans generally attend the semifinal and final sessions.
🚨It's Official! The #OHSAA Individual Wrestling State Tournament will return to @TheSchott for the next three years! #OHSAA member high schools were informed this morning. Press release coming at noon with this and several other state tournament venue updates. pic.twitter.com/1OwmKur426— OHSAASports (@OHSAASports) August 9, 2021
The tournament will be at Ohio State for the next three years with the option for a two-year extension after.
Volleyball also will be returning to the Nutter Center at Wright State University, its home since 1991, for its state championships.
The tournament was hosted by Vandalia Butler High School in 2020.
The golf state tournament will remain at the Ohio State University Golf Club in Columbus and NorthStar Golf Club in Sunbury for the next two years.
The boys and girls tennis state tournaments will remain at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, home of the Western and Southern Open, for the next three years.
One sport will remain at the location used for the first time in 2020. Field hockey will remain at Thomas Worthington High School after the event happened there last year. The tournament had occurred at Upper Arlington High School since 2002.
Four sports’ state championships locations have not been announced: soccer, lacrosse, track and field and baseball.
State tournament locations:
- Golf – The Ohio State University Golf Club and NorthStar Golf Club
- Girls Tennis – Lindner Family Tennis Center, Mason
- Field Hockey – Thomas Worthington High School
- Cross Country – Fortress Obetz and Memorial Park, Columbus
- Soccer – Announcement Coming Soon
- Volleyball – Wright State University, Dayton
- Football – Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, Canton
- Swimming and Diving – Branin Natatorium, Canton
- Gymnastics – Hilliard Bradley High School
- Bowling – Wayne Webb’s Columbus Bowl
- Ice Hockey – Nationwide Arena, Columbus
- Wrestling – Schottenstein Center, The Ohio State University
- Girls and Boys Basketball – University of Dayton Arena
- Boys Tennis – Lindner Family Tennis Center, Mason
- Lacrosse – TBA
- Softball – Firestone Stadium, Akron
- Track & Field – TBA
- Baseball – TBA
For a list of important OHSAA event dates, click here.