COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced on Friday that he is lifting the mask requirement for those who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. 

DeWine had previously said that Ohio’s mask requirement would remain in place for everyone through June 2. DeWine said his updated order reflects new CDC guidance that says those fully vaccinated against the coronavirus do not need to wear a mask in a non-health care settings. 

DeWine added that businesses may continue requiring customers and employees to wear masks.

Other COVID-19 restrictions within the state will remain in place through June 2. 

“The most powerful tool we have to protect against the COVID-19 virus is the vaccine,” DeWine said on Friday. “Because of the vaccine, COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are decreasing dramatically. The vaccine allows us to live our lives more normally and without fear.

“As I said in my address to Ohioans on Wednesday, the more individuals who get vaccinated, the more the entire state is protected from the virus.  The vaccine is our path out of the pandemic, and it is our best protection against the virus. We are on the offense, and the science is unequivocal: Vaccines are our best weapon to fight COVID-19 and save lives.”

As of Friday, 37% of Ohio’s population has been fully vaccinated, according to Ohio Department of Health figures. For the other 63% of Ohioans, they will be required to wear face coverings inside public buildings through June 2.