WASHINGTON, DC - You may have seen it advertised online and social media, "Miracle" or "Master" Mineral Solution claiming it cures all sorts of ailments. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers to stop drinking the products immediately.

These products or other sodium chlorite products are making people sick.  They have a lot of different names, including Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Supplement, MMS, Chlorine Dioxide (CD) Protocol, and Water Purification Solution (WPS). When mixed according to package directions, they become a strong chemical that is used in bleach. 

According to the FDA, a number of distributors are making false claims saying these supplements when mixed with citric acid is an antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial liquid that is a cure for autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, flu, and other conditions. But the FDA isn't aware of any research saying these products are safe or effective for treating any illness. Bottom line the FDA says: Sodium chlorite products are dangerous and you and your family should not use them.

If you drink these chlorine dioxide products you can experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration. Some products even say on the label that vomiting and diarrhea are common side-effects of taking the product. The more a person takes, the more severe the symptoms. The FDA has had reports of consumers who have suffered severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration and acute liver failure after drinking these products.

You are urged to report adverse side effects related to taking these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.