Thursday is Bike to Work Day, when Angelenos across the county are encouraged to ditch their cars for two wheels and pedal to the office. Smack dab in the middle of National Bike Month, the annual event rolls into LA with a variety of enticements, meet-ups and how-to sessions.
Five things to know about Bike to Work Day:
- Bike to Work Day is part of Bike to Work Week, which is part of National Bike Month, all of which was started by the League of American Bicyclists. The idea is to promote bicycling as a healthy, sustainable way of getting around.
- In 2022, Bike to Work Day in LA is Thursday, May 19.
- Metro is offering a variety of discounts on Thursday. Not only can people ride buses and trains for free, they can also ride Bike Share bicycles without paying (using the code 051922) and buy discounted Bike Share passes. Metro is also hosting a group ride from Union Station to Chinatown from noon to 2 p.m.
- Several chapters of the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition will be operating pit stops for bicycle commuters on Thursday. WEHO BYCO will offer free drinks, snacks and bicycle lights. Bike Culver City has partnered with Equator Coffees to give away coffee and a small treat for cyclists who say “Everything is better on a bike!” Santa Monica Spoke will also give away free coffee and breakfast.
- Metrolink is offering free rides to anyone bringing a bike on their trains this week.