If you’re a happy person, people may ask you, “How do you do it? And why?” especially as life is heavy at the moment for all. But there are some secrets about how to lift yourself into the happy zone — and don’t worry — it’s all perfectly legal. It’s a science.
Here’s 5 things to know:
- Our body is full of chemicals. Natural ones. And a fun type it makes are hormones. Very basically, they’re like little messengers that tell our cells and organs to do things. Let’s focus on the happiness hormones and what scientists suggest you can do to boost them.
- Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that’s part of why humans feel pleasure, like if you get a pat on the back for doing a good job. If you want more Dopamine, set a goal, take a step toward it every day, and crush it. Easy!
- Serotonin boosts your mood and is a natural antidepressant you make yourself. Want to make more? Exercise daily, go for a jog or walk briskly: only 10 mins a day. Or try something challenging you’ve never done before to boost your confidence.
- Want a two-for-one? Endorphins are our bodies natural painkillers. So when you’re out walking and exercising trying to make seratonin, you’re also making endorphins too. But really having a good laugh is the best way to boost them — as is a small — amount of dark chocolate, which scientists say influences gene activity. Yum!
- And finally, oxytocin, aka the “love hormone,” bonds us to others and is released when we do fun things like kissing and hugging the people we love and trust. Want more of that? Cuddle your pets and make closer, trusted friends. Having a social group that you love and can touch will make more of that oxytocin.
So the secret to being happy daily? Make yourself laugh, walk or workout, crush a task and reward yourself — and get a hug from a close friend or a puppy.