Veteran actress Anne Heche takes a turn as a conservative Christian in "13 Minutes." The tornado disaster thriller also stars Trace Adkins, Peter Facinelli, Thora Birch, Amy Smart, Will Peltz, Sofia Vassilieva, Shaylee Mansfield and Paz Vega.
Here are five things to know:
- The film focuses on four families who must think fast and act quickly as a tornado touches down in their Oklahoma town. In the aftermath, the families must overcome their differences and find strength in themselves and each other to survive.
- Anne Heche and Trace Adkins play married, right-wing farmers struggling to make ends meet. Their dream is to see their 27-year-old only son, Luke, take over the farm with his future family.
What they don’t know is that Luke is battling his own issues. He’s gay but hasn’t come out yet because he doesn’t want to lose the love of his conservative parents.
- Heche spoke to Hollywood Speaks about why she said yes to the role. “I’m drawn to characters that kind of open up and give perspective to something that we perhaps haven’t quite healed in this world, and that’s accepting and embracing something that we don’t understand, and that’s certainly the LGBT community," she said.
- Facinelli portrays a weatherman in the film, warning viewers the storm is rapidly approaching. During his on-air report, he realizes the tornado is headed toward his family and home. He is faced with the decision of staying at work or leaving to go save his family.
- "13 Minutes" is in theaters now and will be available on-demand and digital Nov. 19.